Reduce "Core" to 1 Binary CD? -- WAS: Request for Packages in Fedora Core 3

Elliott Wilcoxon elliott at wilcoxon.org
Mon May 24 19:46:44 UTC 2004

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

  > And I'm also somewhat concerned that whatever mechanism is created to
> tie in Extras into the install/upgrade proces...that mechnism needs to
> be general enough to encompass 3rd party repos too. No hardwiring of
> extras into the default logic of firstboot or anaconda. No a priori
> knowledge of the groupings to expect on the extra cds, things like
> that. Whatever works with extras needs to work with things like
> intranet or 3rd party addon media, in a general way...including
> defined package groups outside of Core comps definition.
>

> -jef

Would the following scenario be possible?  FC(n+1) is released, small
Core, large Extras.  Apt/yum repos go up with the new stuff.  People who
want to upgrade download a program (or have it installed already; the
features could be added to up2date/system-config-packages/synaptic), and
run it.  It opens a window with various options.  If they want to just
upgrade to the next version, they press that button, and their rpm
headers are extracted from their rpm database.  This information is
compared to the Extras repo, and all packages needed for upgrading to
FC(n+1) are downloaded, then packed into the correct number of .iso's.
They burn these .iso's, along with the Core .iso, and go along to their
upgrade.  The idea is that we can just use the yum/apt package managers
to determine which rpm's to download, then how they should be placed on
the CD's to satisfy dependencies in a simple CD1->CD2->CD3->done manner.

In addition to the 'just upgrade' option, a custom .iso feature should
also be present, for clean installs on machines with different
configurations than the one you're doing the downloading on.  Ideally,
simple and advanced paths would be available.  Simple would look like
anaconda's software selector, with broad groups of software.  Advanced
would look more like synaptic, with individual packages, with automatic
dependency handling as you mark packages for inclusion on the .iso's.

Elliott Wilcoxon