ogg streams and rhythmbox

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Nov 4 06:51:51 UTC 2004

Rhythmbox from upstream works well with mp3 shoutcast streams, which
are removed from Fedora Core due to mp3 support not being there.

Apparantly CBC will be streaming with ogg - and I'm curious as to how
popular ogg streaming is, and wether or not some default internet radio
stations using ogg through shoutcast should be used for Rhythmbox - are
there enough to make it worth it?

I know shoutcast2 builds fine on FC2 and FC3 and the gstreamer plugin
also does - I don't know that they are required for ogg streaming in
rhythmbox (they don't seam to be for mp3 streaming) but if they are,
they work and should be patent free.

Do ogg shoutcast streams work in Rhythmbox as it is?
I think it is worth investigating just so that rhythmbox could be
distributed with Fedora Core 4 with working internet radio stations.