A true package manager.

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat Nov 6 12:22:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 01:10:09PM +0100, Iago Rubio wrote:

> I don't think yum should merge with up2date. Yum bypasses up2date
> functionality right now and frankly I don't use up2date ever because
> it's still buggy (On my FC1 and FC2 systems).

What are the bugs you encounter?  The only real problem I know of is
the zero-size overview in up2date due to the fact that yum's
header.info file does not include package sizes.  I have solved this
for X/OS Linux (<http://www.xoslinux.org/, a rebuild of RHEL3) by
adding a backward-compatible enhancement to yum-arch and some changes
to up2date, and now up2date and yum repositories seem to work fine.

> I'd really like to interface the rhn applet with yum, or at least to
> make it configurable so you could launch your preferred update command -
> in my case `xterm -e yum update` :)

What do you mean with "interface the rhn applet with yum"?  Rhn-applet
works fine with yum repositories.

See <http://download.xoslinux.org/pub/xoslinux/3/i386/release/SRPMS/>
for my versions of yum, up2date, rhnlib and rhn-applet (all these
packages are originally the FC2 versions) for X/OS Linux 3 (see the
package's changelogs for a description of the changes).

Cheers,

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>