python 2.4 upgrade

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 18:08:20 UTC 2004

Alan Milligan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noted with interest, the python 2.4 upgrade.
>
> I had hoped that bug request 120635 regarding integrating new python
> macros into rpm would have been addressed as part of these changes.
>
> Every spec file with a Python dependency has been individually modified
> to facilitate this upgrade, and each could have benefited from using the
> new macros.
>
> I do hope an opportunity has not been missed.

There is nothing at all stopping you (or Fedora) from configuring rpm in
/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros,
/etc/rpm/macros or  ~/.rpmmacros if you wish. You can also add the
definitions to your own
package spec files.

What stops adding to rpm default configuration -- aside from the
instantly induced build
failures with older versions of rpm -- is lack of confirmation that the
macros at #120635
actually "work" with the thundering herd of python versions deployed,
with variant multilib
paths.

I've asked python guys regarding retrieving /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 paths
portably from python,
and have no clear indication one way or the other of the Right Thing To Do.

Get me confirmation that the changes work with python 2.[01234], and
perhaps python 1.5,
currently deployed  and I will be happy to add default macros to rpm.
Otherwise, it
seems kinda pointless to add default macros that don't just "work"
everywhere imho.

73 de Jeff