Problem with compiling packages

Amitabha Roy royamitabha at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 16:07:57 UTC 2004

Hello:
I have a rather run of the mill Fedora box running FC3 which for some reason
refuses to compile large projects.  For example, lets say I check
out CVS emacs, run configure and make, it starts the compilation process,
runs for a while and then either the machine freezes (and I have to
restart the machine)
or it just reboots.

The same thing happens when I try to recompile kdemultimedia
according to the advice in
http://www.holovaty.com/linux/fedorafaq/kde_mp3.html

I do not know whether this a gcc leak or what it is.

There is no log of what exactly causes this as far as I can see.
Can someone please suggest ways I can debug this ?
Or some way to hunt down the culprit ?

Amitabha