Boot poster challenge

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Nov 13 19:31:46 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 12:53 -0500, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 12:18:39PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > You'd also want text in the poster; process names are one obvious
> > textual annotation that should be easy to obtain. It might also be
> > interested for processes to be able to provide extra annotations; for
>
> Why not reuse the X11 visualiser for bandwidth. The one that shows all the
> toolkit caused stalls. It'll do the same job for run versus disk wait

I'm guessing you mean the xplot/netplot displays from Jim Gettys and
Keith Packard's talk about X Window System performance -
(http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/usenix2003/).

It's certainly related to the kind of thing I'm talking about here,
though I'm not sure its quite directly applicable... it applies
more to displaying how well disk read-ahead is working for a particular
application, then to viewing the dependency graph for a set of
processes.

I'd agree it's a relevant reference point,
						Owen