Boot poster challenge

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Mon Nov 15 06:34:11 UTC 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 13:32, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Using minit as a replacement for init saves zero time (and adds
> additional complexity due to its (IMO, broken) dependency model.)
>
> It's fixing the underlying actions under init that is the big win.

I agree.  Though, it's nice to look at it to see what it can bring to
the table, because Minit you can get a call tree of:

	Minit -> service  (single exec called from C)

In most cases.  Whereas with the current init process you get a calltree
similar to this:

	Init -> Shell (rc) -> Exec'd Shells (rc?.d/S*) -> Config Files ->
service

Several levels of indirection brings flexibility in what you can do and
how you can configure it (Just look at the difference between SuSE and
Redhat; yeah, LSB, whatever).  But, this comes at a cost.

So, playing with Minit does not necessarily mean an immediate call for a
replacement of init.  Playing with minit highlights the changes needed
in the system configuration.  Though, trying to keep compliant with LSB
and maintaining use of /bin/sh is going to be a tough job with the
current init.  With minit, the tough job would be integration with
current infra.  Course, this is tougher than the former, but
nonetheless, as I stated earlier, a good exercise.

Maybe in the end, a C version of rc, a config compiler, and a
parallelization technique with deps will get the job done using the
current init.

take care,
--
-jeff