stateless wants pxelinux.0

Carlos Knowlton cknowlton at science.edu
Mon Nov 15 18:46:49 UTC 2004

Carlos Knowlton wrote:

> Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 11:21 -0600, Carlos Knowlton wrote:
>>

>>> Okay, next question:  (and remember, this is in the name of helping
>>> stateless (and clueless) newbies everywhere, so bear with me =)
>>>
>>> I have stateless linux installed according with the tutorial
>>> <http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/stateless/index.html>, and I'm
>>> attempting to do a PXE boot on a diskless machine.  The PC is able
>>> to get an IP address, and then tries to get "pxelinux.0", and fails
>>> with a PXE-T01 and PXE-E3B.  "pxelinux.0 isn't even located in the
>>> /tftpboot directory anywhere. so I add it to where dhcpd.conf says
>>> it should be, in "/tftpboot/linux-install/pxelinux.0",  what's
>>> next?  how do I set up /tftpboot/linux-install/pxelinux.cfg/*"?
>>>

>>     I think as long as you have tftp-server and syslinux installed it
>> should be there. Although, now that I look, I'm not sure how it gets
>> there - neither package owns it and pxelinux just installs it
>> in /usr/lib.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark.
>>

> Hmm, well, I just realized that when I ran stateless-clients to add a
> client, that somehow, it doesn't get added:
> "
> [root at Server ~]# stateless-clients --configuration DemoSystem --add
> 00:11:11:4A:8A:21
> [root at Server ~]# stateless-clients -l
> Clients:
> [root at fsix-Server ~]#
> "
> could this be related?
>

> Regards,
> Carlos

Okay, maybe it isn't related.  Though, as someone mentioned earlier, the
stateless-* utilities don't take long-form ("--") parameters.  I got it
working with "stateless-clients -c DemoSystem -a 00:11:11:4A:8A:21".
Maybe the docs need to be updated (?).

Anyway, what is the format of the files in the pxelinux.cfg/* files
supposed to be?  what parameters need to be passed to the kernel, etc.
and how is this stuff supposed to be generated?

Regards,
Carlos