stateless wants pxelinux.0

Jason Powers powers.jason at jimmy.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 16 14:53:39 UTC 2004

The pxelinux.cfg file isn't part of stateless specifically, it's more of
a general "here's some boot-time parameters" file. We've been using LTSP
  here for a while, and I know if you search that page or just google
tftpboot +pxelinux you get a lot of docs referring to how the things are
configured. I've seen man pages and such for it, but none are complete.

I'm trying to get the diskless version of staeless to run, because the
LTSP local apps config is a nightmare, and I need the terminals' memory
to handle the application being used. It has a terrible memory leak and
I'd rather it drop one client than the whole server.

The present install of stateless is supposed to run a cron job every
hour to manage all the pxe stuff, but it hasn't worked here yet. I'm
starting this experiment over and running it off an nfs server to
diskless clients, I'm going to try to install from the terminal directly
to the NFS share and see if that works a little better, the "install it
on a machine and then remove the hard drive" trick isn't getting it
done, even with a clever-crafted pxelinux.cfg.

Jason Powers
Network Coordinator
Frontier Science

ps. my 'old' pxelinux.cfg/default file, which works for ltsp but not
stateless. YMMV.

prompt=0
label linux
   kernel bzImage-2.4.26-ltsp-2
   append init=/linuxrc rw root=/dev/ram0 initrd=initrd-2.4.26-ltsp-2.gz
   ipappend 1