Killer apps/"selling" points of FC and GNU/Linux

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Nov 16 22:30:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 12:13:35PM -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> Well, it is better to let some Red Hatter to respond that, but I can
> tell that IBM will never propose some migration solution based on Wine
> because it is an open implementation of a proprietary thing. In other
> words, it is proprietary, which means "legal issues". Windows APIs are
> a propriety of Microsoft.

API's are not copyrightable as I understand it. Wine isn't exactly an
enterprise supportable product unless you have a team of windows and
wine wizards (like the crossover office guys), and even they can only
hit a fixed set of programs

> Other minor Wine issues are:
> - Businesses look at it as an ad-hoc solution
> - You can't be sure if all your apps will run there

Qemu might also be a more useful path to windoze license holders for business
apps anyway