Finding the "best" mirror

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Nov 19 08:29:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 02:41 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > Haven't looked at this yet, but how about selecting more than one mirror
> > (e.g. the 5 best), creating a local yum mirror file, and pointing yum's
> > configuration to that file:///path/to/that/mirrorlist? I really like the
> > fact that yum tries another server when one doesn't seem to respond, which
> > wouldn't be the case anymore with a single baseurl configured.
>
> What about combining this:
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/284631
> with netselect and generating a mirrorlist of the best mirrors every
> night or something?

hmmm measuring during the times the net is quiet sounds evil... also
it won't scale well with the number of people doing it.

I wonder if yum could do a reverse dns lookup, and then do a
right-to-left matching trick on the name vs the mirrors (perhaps
excepting .com/.net/.org); that way for me, I get at least mirrors in
.nl, and if my ISP's mirror gets into the mirror list, I'll always get
that one.

Well maybe it needs a few tricks, like traceroute to somewhere with a
TTL of 4, and use some of the intermediate machines for the matching as
well (and have the same info available for each mirror) so that you stay
within the same upstream bandwidth provider etc etc