vmware and udev

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Nov 19 19:29:42 UTC 2004

> On a more general note, is there any sort of communications between Red
> Hat people (who have phones on their desk) and the very few companies
> that do groundbreaking linux support (Nvidia, VMWare, ...) as far as
> release schedules and support for new kernel features ? Just asking...

what you call groundbreaking linux support... I personally consider a
major problem... they are
1) Binary only, and not helping the open source goal at large forward
2) Borderline legal, if at all (my personal opinion is that they are not
legal, and abusing code I wrote)
3) Lagging behind and even keeping the kernel from going forward at
times.

but.. if you buy a RHEL subscription the support guys you call will be
happy to work with such vendors on joint problems.