prelink issues

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Fri Nov 19 20:59:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 03:10:19PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> The hal/dbus issue appears to be reproducible on FC3+updates, but not
> with stock FC3.  My guess is that letting prelink run on stock FC3 might
> cause this too, I'm about to check that.

If you are able to reproduce it, please create a tarball containing
the binary and all its dependencies (do ldd on the binary and tar
everything up).

> Has anyone else seen any odd issues with their packages that might be
> related to prelink?  I wonder if there's a common thread here.

Even if packages misbehave when prelinked and don't when not prelinked,
there is no guarantee prelink is at fault.
Prelink changes the memory layout of the application, so if certain
library or binary e.g. has memory management bugs, it can show up
only with certain memory layouts and not with others.

Anyway, if you have a reproducer and tar up the binary, all libraries
and whatever else is necessary for reproduction, that goes away
if you unprelink the binary or its libraries, I'll certainly look at
it.

	Jakub