Boot poster challenge

karl.vogel at telenet.be karl.vogel at telenet.be
Sat Nov 20 18:49:12 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com> writes:

>> > hmm yeah there ought to be room; I'll need to think about how to use that
>> > though.
>>
>> Yeah I guess the fact that disk caches are loaded on a per-file basis
>> doesn't help either.  Because in theory: stat-ing your list takes about
>> 3 sec and readahead on a tarball is instantaneous (both of course
>> without boot-time readahead).
>
> ok here is another try; I hacked up a tool to sort the list in disk
> order.
>
> use it like this:
>
> make fileblock
> fileblock `cat readfiles` | sort -n | cut -f2 > sortedfiles
>
> and use sortedfiles as filelist for readahead as before

I'm wondering..

What would be the most efficient: readahead of files or readahead of
diskblocks?!

ie.. I was thinking of the following:

Have the kernel dump the I/O blocks to the kernel log (klogd shouldn't
be running for obvious reasons):

  # echo 1 >/proc/sys/vm/block_dump

Then using that list to preload the blocks at startup (using
POSIX_FADV_RANDOM on the block device to prevent it from doing
a readahead).