Latest kernels and megaraid module (was: Re: Boot poster challenge)

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Sat Nov 20 22:21:40 UTC 2004

Harry Moyes wrote :

> It happily confirms that the 2.6.9-1.3 kernel installs correctly into my
> FC2 installation.
>
> But no 2.6.9-1.3 option is offered in the boot menu.
>
> After some puzzlement I tried installing the version from freshRPM's
> using Synaptic. This fails as well, but has the good grace to error,
> reporting that it is unable to generate an initrd, and reporting an
> error relating to a MegaRAID controller
>
> seems I have one of these
>
> megaraid: found 0x101e:0x1960:bus 2:slot 4:func 0
> scsi0:Found MegaRAID controller at 0x2285f000, IRQ:185
>
> and that kernel does not like it.
>
> Indeed I have no 2.6.9-1.3 initrd, which is clearly an issue, but
> the silent loss of the error, and worse still the confirmation of
> a correct install **when the update process clearly knew there was
> an issue** since it did not add the 2.8.9 kernel to the boot menu
> is seriously broken.

I have quite a few machines running FC2 that run yum nightly to keep up to
date, and they did install the latest kernel, and the output reported that
the initrd wouldn't be created because no megaraid module was to be found.
I haven't looked into this yet but either :
- The module/driver isn't included and this is a serious bug.
- The module has been renamed or support for those MegaRaid cards has been
moved into another module... this is a bug also, but the remedy is to add
more "glue" or some other non trivial mechanism to kernel updates.

...or I'm simply missing something ;-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.9-1.667.radeonfb
Load : 0.71 0.97 0.56