Possibly offtopic : Binary only driver

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sun Nov 21 20:09:08 UTC 2004

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 01:49:32PM -0200, Avi Alkalay wrote:
> tend to not understand the reasons of "you have to" open source it
> all. So they simply don't spend their time working on Linux drivers
> because all of this user pain. So if they just say "it runs on Linux"

Of course that would be why I keep getting submissions from vendors in my
mailbox. Many of them also get the fact that there is a lot less overhead
with many of their Linux submissions that are GPL because 95% of it consists
of "use code already in the kernel". ALi for example recently contributed
support for the M5228. It's one if and a PCI identifier. Sure beats writing
an entire proprietary driver.