Possibly offtopic : Binary only driver

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 22 03:28:44 UTC 2004

On 11/21/2004 06:23:17 PM, Sean Middleditch wrote:

> The difference is, Windows has a far, far, far smaller percentage
> of users with compatibility problems on a day-to-day basis than Linux
> does.

Oh really?
Is that just personal experience or are there stats?

> The differences between the six-month-apart releases of FC2 and FC3
> have
> caused me more compatibility headaches than upgrading between the
> many-
> years-apart differences between Windows 98 and Windows XP.

Anecdotal.

SP1 to SP2 of XP caused me more issues than any linux upgrade ever did.
I had to boot SP2 in recovery mode to uninstall virus software that
Microsoft recommended as a good vendor for virus checking because the
software had a kernel driver that did not work with SP2 - and unlike
Linux where a module just simply doesn't load but boot continues, WinXP
completely refused to boot except to that aweful emergency mode thing.
All because of virus protection software, which definately should not
have prevented XP from booting.