/proc/config.gz support on? Why not?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Nov 24 17:38:06 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org> said:
> I can only guess on what the original intend of this mail was - but how does
> the config get into /boot if you roll your own kernel? if the support for
> config.gz is on, you're guaranteed to find the config of the currently
> running kernel in /proc/config.gz, no matterr if you run a stock or your own
> kernel, no matter how many kernels you have installed, ...

If you roll your own kernel, you are free to turn on any options you
want.  For the FC kernels that are packaged in RPM, there is no need to
include the same information multiple times, especially when one of them
takes up RAM on a running system (all the time, used or not).

Actually though, the FC kernel RPMs do include the config in two places:

/boot/config-`uname -r`
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/.config

There is no point in a third copy that uses RAM all the time.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>