Eina - gtk2 replacement for xmms

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Nov 29 21:47:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 19:19, Michael A. Peters wrote:
[..]
> I'm hoping for the day when divx.com releases a plugin that lets me
> play rented divx movies in Totem - already the GStreamer plugin for
> divx is quite good, The HD divx movie trailers play smoother for me in
> totem than they do on the same hardware in Windows. That may be more
> likely to happen, divx seems at least somewhat friendly to linux, with
> free periodic releases of their library including header files needed
> for developers.

DivX has been a decent (not perfect, but still decent) Linux player so
far. We're hoping that with the settlement of GStreamer as the default
media component across desktops on the Linux platform, distributors like
Apple will slowly start to pay attention to us.

However, that's probably a multi-year thing. I wouldn't expect it to
happen instantly. We'll have to live with the (legally questionable)
hacks for now - stuff that unfortunately cannot be shipped in Fedora...
:-(.

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>