Java and Rawhide?

Thomas Fitzsimmons fitzsim at redhat.com
Fri Oct 1 23:02:21 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 04:55, Hans de Goede wrote:
> I for one would like to be able too:
> -build and run java code, wether this is done native or on a vm is
>   equal to me. The environment should be able to handle jni
>   (specificly, it should be able to compile and run rxtx for serial port
>   access)
> -use java applets from a webbrowser more specificly from mozilla.
>
> Since this currently isn't possible I would like to be able to easily:
> a) install SUN's official JDK and
> b) gcj and

Switching between a and b using alternatives should be easy in FC3 if
you install java-1.4.2-gcj-compat (in FC3) and java-1.4.2-sun-compat
(from jpackage.org).

> c) sablevm and
> -easily switch between a,b and c for compiling and running and
> -be able to use jdk-plugin in mozilla and sablevm or jdk in konqueror.
>
> I know a lott is happening and I would like to try things out, report
> bugs and maybe even contribute. But how? where is the documentation. I
> think we need a java on Fedora webpage like the stateless pages which
> gives pointers to download some packages which are so beta that they are
> not in rawhide and which contains a quickstart guide.

http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=2880

and

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-7jpp.noarch.rpm
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386/Fedora/RPMS/java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel-1.4.2.0-7jpp.noarch.rpm

I've written a quick-start guide about using alternatives for jpackage'd
SDKs:

http://people.redhat.com/fitzsim/jpackage-alternatives-quickstart-guide.txt

Tom