RFE: More on mounting + a question about the "console" flag

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 13:56:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 15:35:41 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak
<kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> About the "console" flag: would a user sitting on an XDMCP terminal be
> considered a console user or not? How is it determined if he/she is a
> console user or not? Because someone sitting on an xdmcp terminal
> shouldn't be considered "console"...

I strongly suggest you read over the system documentation on how
pam_console works and the associated configuration files in an effort
to understand how things are configured by default.  My limited
understanding of the default situations is that remote  xdmcp
connections are not considered 'console'. But don't take my word for
it, i haven't gotten around to testing xdmcp during fc3 testing yet.
If you are concerned I encourage you to test the remote xdmcp
connection case and make sure the defaults are not configured to set
the xdmcp user as console owner.  Here's a hint the files in
/var/run/console/ are particularly useful to watch, to figure out who
is the current 'console' user.

-jef