RFE: More on mounting + a question about the "console" flag

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Mon Oct 4 15:05:49 UTC 2004

man, 04.10.2004 kl. 16.58 skrev Alan Cox:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 04:49:32PM +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> > That would be cool - if a thin client could export its floppy (device,
> > not mountpoint?) to the thin-client server. Same goes to sound - but
> > does the loginscripts properly setup ESD?
>
> Our default ESD setup doesn't but then ESD stands for ESD Should Die 8).
> ESD does support this but getting it working with ssh tunnels is pretty horrid

I like ESD... At least i did under OSS. Nowadays ALSA does the mixing,
so... But (having resently heard from another admin, an i agree)
multimedia (and removable storage) is really the only reason to avoid
thin clients - exept that, it rocks! (if i just could have quake 3 and
removable storage on a (purpose-built) thin client, my main box would
happen to be in the basement in less that 10 minutes - no noise, bootup
time=time for an LCD to start (less than one secound), little desktop
real estate used... ahh. Mac's new shiny litle toy: mwah hah hah luser!)

Btw. in most enviroments, XDMCP runs *without* ssh, right?

And i *still* wonder where to file that RFE. Which component?

Kyrre