LVM should not be used by default with FC3

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Thu Oct 7 13:56:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 01:24 -0700, Nathan G. Grennan wrote:

> Yes, at a higher level it does make things simpler. But at a lower level
> it makes things much more complex, and the lower level will come out
> when something breaks. In most cases you could solve the running out of
> disk space problem by just making everything one big partition. I don't
> have a problem with LVM, I just have a problem with as the default,
> which will effect the newbies more than anyone else. As for SELinux, I
> think it needs a lot of work before it is ready for prime time.
>
> I think the best thing to do if developers are determined to go down
> this road is to make it a boot option or something, but not make it the
> default for now. All the cases need to be covered first. Does this work
> with rescue mode? Will it cause any issues with users trying to
> reinstall grub with grub-install?

In taking a look at my fairly fresh laptop install (network install of
rawhide circa 9/25 or so), it partitioned my 30GB drive into a
100MB /boot partition and the rest as LVM.  My /etc/fstab entries look
like:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults
1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
1 2
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults
0 0

The grub argument appears to be a non-issue, my boot partition is not
part of LVM.  Doesn't look too complex to me.  Granted, I may not be
able to use that boot floppy with a 2.2.0 kernel from 8 years ago to
rescue the system since it probably won't have LVM tools on it, but the
Fedora rescue CD or Knoppix will probably work just fine.

Additionally, during the installation I just did the auto-partition
option as always and Anaconda did all the hard work setting everything
up for.  From my end-user perspective, it's not more complex at all.  I
also like the thought of being able to upgrade to a larger drive in the
future by simply joining it to the group, moving all the data and
resizing it.  Pretty slick.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>