Totem/GStreamer and Fedora

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Thu Oct 7 18:30:40 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 12:25 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 23:10 +0200, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Today, the GStreamer team has released new versions of their GStreamer
> > core and plugins. Also, Bastien Nocera has released a new version of
> > Totem, which features a largely rewritten GStreamer backend, amongst
> > others. There has been a news posting about this on gnomedesktop.org.
> > We're convinced that the current combination of these is the best
> > legally shippable playback application that has been created so far. It
> > might not match mplayer yet, but it's pretty, stable, extensible [1],
> > fits well with the rest of the GNOME desktop and, not unimportant, it
> > will playback quite a few movies and webstreams by default already
> > (Ogg/Theora, in particular). Also, it's actively developed and
> > maintained by a large amount of developers (look at the GStreamer
> > plugins contributor list, for example).
> >
> > How would you guys feel about including this in Fedora Core? It would
> > add a missing piece to the desktop. We're also considering to propose
> > Totem for inclusion in GNOME 2.10.
>
> I updated rawhide to the latest gstreamer and gstreamer-plugins (not
> pushed yet) and built a package for totem. All required rpms are at:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/alexl/RPMS/totem/
>
> Can people test this and see if it works well?

I'm having a problem where totem isn't displaying anything normally;
just a black area where the video should be.  If I popup a menu or move
another window over totem, the video flickers in and out of existence.
Sometimes it'll stay afterwards, most of the time it won't.  The video
is always visible when I display it in fullscreen mode.

This is on a freshly updated system as of 30 minutes ago.

>  Alexander Larsson                                            Red Hat, Inc
>                    alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
> He's an uncontrollable shark-wrestling master criminal who dotes on his loving
> old ma. She's a brilliant mutant barmaid from a family of eight older
> brothers. They fight crime!

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.