gnome-volume-manager blank CD defaults

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Thu Oct 7 17:05:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 19:36 +0300, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> A problem I noticed: I've set gnome-volume-manager to open k3b instead
> of burn://
> When burning 1st CD it went ok. When inserting the 2nd CD, k3b is opened
> again although it was already open. Could it check first if the
> application specified by user is already running?

Not really.  K3B needs to be corrected to not open multiple copies of
itself, not g-v-m.

> Maybe this solves multiple burn:// folders too.

I imagine it would be possible for Nautilus to say, "oh, burn:// is
already open, let's just focus that window."  Of course, you then have
one of the primary features of spatial file management...

I don't particularly think Nautilus has any business burning CDs, but
that's not my call, and this is the wrong list to discuss it anyways.

> I don't know how to check in a reliable way if the application is
> already running. ps aux|grep username|grep <application> works usually,
> but it's ugly. It won't work for burn://

The proper solution is for the application itself to use that desktop
frameworks' existing solution to the problem.

Anything else is not really guaranteed to work, at least not portably.
The shell line you gave can easily break in dozens of different
scenarios, and the other method I can think of would be OS-specific.
(Scanning the running processes to see which binary it is running.)

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.