fsck.ext3 in FC2

Jim Cornette music-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 10 00:01:11 UTC 2004

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> [root at devel root]# e2fsck LABEL=/
> e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
> e2fsck: Filesystem has unsupported feature(s) (/)
> e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!
> [root at devel root]#
>
> (note - this is from LABEL=/1 currently being mounted on /)
>
> Can we can an e2fsck package for FC2 that fixes this?
>
> I always like to run two installs - one version old on my scsi disk -
> as a stable backup in case I bork my system, and current version on
> my  main IDE drive.
>
> But the backup "1 version old" install has to be able to mount / from
> the current install so that I can use symlinks to have the same /var/
> spool/mail/mbox files.
>
> I've wiped FC1 off of my scsi drive, put FC2 on it, and am now
> running  FC3test on the IDE drive - and came into this problem.
>
> So by the official FC3 release date, will we have an "official"
> update  to fsck on FC2 pushed through yum, or will I need to update it
> myself?
>
> I would prefer not to "roll my own" anything on the scsi (one version
> old) install, it's suppose to be stock stable that works.

I ran into this problem also with trying to mount newer created volumes
from FC3T2 on my FC2 system for common file sharing between distributions.
This leads to people assuming their filesystem is corrupted because of
being dropped into the maint shell when the volumes from FC3T2 are
mounted on either FCT1 (now not too important a problem) or earlier
versions of linux.

FC2 being a supported version still, this should get the newer versions,
to rid this distribution from causing problems with dual booting FC3 and
FC2.
I assume that FC1 will be a problem with FC2 and FC3 distributions after
the version upgrade, but this would be a mission for legacy support.

Jim

--
"If I have trouble installing Linux, something is wrong. Very wrong."

	- Linus Torvalds