No direct rendering with booting init 5

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Sun Oct 10 12:08:42 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 01:22:18AM -0400, Herbert Rutledge wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 22:18 -0400, Louis Garcia wrote:
>
> > I mentioned this before, when booting in init 5 I don't get direct
> > rendering support with my radeon 7500. However when I boot in init 3 and
> > startx direct rendering is present. I've tried to search bugzilla with
> > no luck. Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> I'm seeing something similar, but not quite the same.
>
> This is with a Radeon 9000, not a 7500, also not quite the same.
>
> If the box is rebooted, it comes up in init 5 without direct rendering.
>
> If, however, the user executes a log out and then logs back in, direct
> rendering is enabled.
>
> This is with kernel 2.6.8-1.603smp and xorg-x11-6.8.1-4.  Direct
> rendering as reported by glxinfo.
>
> You want to file the bug report, or should I do it?

  Is direct rendering allowed only for one X server at a time ?
Since rhgb now starts the X server of gdm in parallel to ease the
visula transition from the graphical boot to the gdm prompt,
this might be related. In that case boot without rhgb until the X
server code got fixed or an option can be passed on the command line
for X to disable direct rendering.

Daniel