Re: Yum .hdr files massive

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 04:14, seth vidal wrote:
> > Well if you wanted to be super careful not to waste bandwidth you might
> > choose to use setsockopt( ..., SO_RCVBUF, ...) at least. A value from
> > 2800 to 4200 might be about right. The reason is that between the time
> > you do the final read(2) and the time you do the close(2) or shutdown(2)
> > you will probably still have other packets in flight. Of course to
> > really cut down on all wastage you'd have to micromanage the advertised
> > tcp window to a greater extent.
> >

> I don't want to be supercareful. In fact, getting this involved in the
> way the packages get downloaded is not worth the time.

I agree totally. It would be cool that if the header is about 50KB and
the RPM is 5MB that we download about 50KB or maybe little more (well
that little more depends on how quick your connection is, but I
digress), but not the entire 5MB. Or in terms of the actual HTTP, that
we emulate "HTTP range from byte x to byte y" so that we stop shortly
after downloading y bytes (because you have to read from the start,
which is about what we have to do when extracting the header from an
RPM). Anything else is superfluous and possibly even harmful (changing
the kernel due to external web server not supporting HTTP range is just
a bit over the top ;-).

Nils
--
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp redhat com