missing quotes in compile parameters when building X apps on FC2

Lennert Buytenhek buytenh at wantstofly.org
Mon Oct 11 17:28:52 UTC 2004

Hi,

I was having a lot of trouble building certain packages that use xmkmf
on my ARM port of FC2.  But it appears that those packages have the
same trouble on the 'official' x86 port of FC2, at least on my two
workstations.

For example, try rebuilding Canna on a stock FC2 install:

	./configure --prefix=/usr
	checking for gcc...  gcc -m32
	checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
	See `config.log' for more details.

I check config.log and see:

	configure:1671:  gcc -m32  -O2 -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe   -I/usr/X11R6/include -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO -DXVENDORNAME=The X.Org Foundation -DXVENDORNAMESHORT=X.Org   conftest.c  >&5
	gcc: X.Org: No such file or directory
	gcc: Foundation: No such file or directory

There should be some quotes there -- where did they go?

Anyone else seen this happening?

cheers,
Lennert