Default browser of FC3?

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Wed Oct 13 07:25:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 22:46, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> tir, 12.10.2004 kl. 14.35 skrev Lars E. Pettersson:
> But that does not mean that we should make fedora a "copy" of Windows -
> simply because if we do that, we will always play catch-up.

No one is proposing to do a "copy" of Windows.

I will now broaden the look a bit more, i.e. this is not coupled to the
ongoing browser discussion only, but written in more general terms.

In a discussion about applications, defaults, UIG:s, HIG:s, etc, it is
important to look at from where people come. What level of computer
knowledge do they have, what applications are they accustom to, what
GUI:s are they used to, etc.

The vast majority of newbies to Fedora (and Linux/GNU) have used
computers before, they are not computer illiterates, and the majority of
them have used Microsoft Windows (like it or not, but that is the
reality.) This is something we have to accept, and understand, when
making GUI:s, HIG:s, defaults, etc, etc. But note that this does not
mean that we have to copy Microsoft Windows, only that we have to
acknowledge this fact, and make the transition to Linux/GNU as easy as
possible for the user.

To make people use Fedora, instead of other operating systems, we have
to have defaults that make people use Fedora, and not uninstall after a
couple of hours struggle with, for the user, strange acting
applications. We must use the best available Linux/GNU-application to
make the user stay with us, and not go back to the operating systems
they came from. We want them to stay, don't we? Later, when the user
have been accustom with the Linux/GNU concept, it is appropriate to give
them the opportunity to "play" with with the goodies we have available.

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/