BerkeleyDB and config files

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Thu Oct 14 04:50:18 UTC 2004

I'd like to suggest a change to the way Fedora Core does some things.
I'm not talking about "standard" linux config files like /etc/passwd or /
etc/group or /etc/fstab (though the latter would be nice) - I'm talking
about Fedora (and RH I suppose since Fedora has become a RH test bed)
specific configuration files, such as /etc/security/console.perms and /
etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-[iface] type stuff.

Rather than store them in flat files, which have different
configuration parameters depending upon the file etc., use (maybe
optionally) BerkeleyDB.

bdb is already needed for the rpm database, so a Fedora system will
have bdb installed.

Both Python and Perl (as well as many other languages) already have
good bdb interfaces, and both Python and Perl also have gtk+ bindings
too.

If an embedded database was available for storing the configuration
information, it would be simpler for packagers to script additions to
those files, if necessary - IE the rpm for TiLP (software for talking
to a Ti graphing calculator) could easily add (if needed) a <ticalc>
class to console.perms with the necessary device node entries, and then
add the needed permission definitions for the device class.

It also would allow gui administration for some configuration nodes for
which there is not a gui. Kind of like how I can change some things in
gnome using gconf-editor for which there isn't an existing control
panel ready made for the task.

It also would make it easier for network administrators who set up box
after box with needs to customize some of the default configurations to
do so - after the install, a single documented script makes the needed
entries/changes to the database and it's done.