udev and proc files

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Oct 16 11:18:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 19:48, Matias Féliciano <feliciano.matias at free.fr> wrote:
> Le samedi 16 octobre 2004 à 19:26 +1000, Russell Coker a écrit :
> > A copy of bash which is spawned by udev attempts an ioctl access
> > to /proc/ide/ide0/hda/media.  This access doesn't do any harm, but
> > possibly indicates some other problem, is bash supposed to be accessing
> > that file?
>
> Perhaps :
> /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules
>         KERNEL="hd[a-z]", PROGRAM="/bin/cat /proc/ide/%k/media",
> RESULT="cdrom", SYMLINK="cdrom%e" KERNEL="hd[a-z]", PROGRAM="/bin/cat
> /proc/ide/%k/media", RESULT="floppy", SYMLINK="floppy%e ...

Those two should not be related to it, only "cat" is opening the file not
"bash".

>         KERNEL="hd[a-z]", PROGRAM="/etc/udev/scripts/check-cdrom.sh %k
> DVD", SYMLINK="dvd%e" ...

I have difficulty in working out what that script does, but it doesn't seem to
be opening the media file.  Also on my system the CD-ROM is /dev/hdc so a
cd-rom script isn't expected to access anything related to /dev/hda.