disable oss in gstreamer-plugins

Matias Féliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Mon Oct 18 10:10:41 UTC 2004

Le lundi 18 octobre 2004 à 11:42 +0200, Ronald S. Bultje a écrit :
> On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 12:40, Matias Féliciano wrote:
> > Any application that use gstreamer-plugins can use Alsa. In fact, they
> > don't know if they are using OSS or alsa. They use gstreamer. Period.
> > OSS programs (by definition does not use gstreamer) are not impacted by
> > the suppression of OSS support in gstreamer.
>
> We often ask people to try the oss plugins if the alsa plugins fail,
> just to test. So the OSS plugins are useful.

Is this to test alsa vs OSS or gstreamer ?
If the propose is to test alsa/OSS, aplay/play do the trick.

It seems to me that you are talking about bugs. When Linux 2.6 was
released we often asked people to try with Linux 2.4. Do you want Linux
2.4 or OSS drivers put back in FC3 only because sometimes they work
better than Linux 2.6/alsa ?
If Fedora do that way, we will have evolution 1.4 and evolution 2.0 in
FC3 because evolution 1.4 sometimes works better, ...

I think it's anormal to have OSS support in gstreamer since FC3 (as FC2)
does not provide OSS drivers. I don't know how gstreamer works and
perhaps it's a bug in gnome-volume-control/mixer-applet or gstreamer
that should be fixed. In this case, I only suggested a workaround
(remove OSS plugin).

But I don't think it's good idea to keep OSS plugin only because
sometimes it works better than alsa plugin.