Proposal: Rationalizing Fedora Audio

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Mon Oct 18 15:06:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 10:53 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:47:21 -0400, Sean Middleditch
> <elanthis at awesomeplay.com> wrote:
> > Or, instead of being goofy and making this an "option," just use the HAL
> > FDI system to mark which cards need software mixing and which don't, and
> > make it all nice and automatic like it should be.
>
> hal? or would udev rules and/or scripts be more appropriate for this
> sort of thing?

HAL provides the information that the udev rules or scripts would use.
You'd query some property on the HAl device info as to whether hardware
mixing is available or not.

In a more ideal world, the ALSA drivers would directly provide that
information, and you wouldn't need a separate database of device info to
know whether the current hardware and driver support hardware mixing.  I
don't know if ALSA exports that kind of information, however; I'm under
the assumption that it does not.

> -jef

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.