rawhide report: 20041015 changes

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Mon Oct 18 20:20:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-15 at 12:01 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:

> That is correct. It works with .610 and it doesn't work well with .624.
>
> > Thats.. puzzling. In what way does it fail?
>
> hald looks at e.g. /dev/sda1 to probe for file system labels, UUID's,
> file system types etc. and it appears that reading fails.
>
> > strace diff of both working/failing may highlight something useful.

I have noticed that with recent versions (maybe 0.10 and higher) of the
Intel Wireless ipw2200 driver, haldaemon dies on startup.  If I unload
the ipw2200 module, hal loads.  The strace output shows that hal is
diddling around with the sysfs entries for the ipw2200 pci device when
it blows.  I haven't spent enough time gathering initial info to be able
to determine if its an ipw2200 problem or a hal problem to be ready to
send up a bug report.  When I get back to states if it hasn't resolved
itself with newer versions of both items, I'll have to do that.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>