Parallel Shutdown (was Re: Paralell startup)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Oct 21 16:18:13 UTC 2004

Jeff Pitman (symbiont at berlios.de) said:
> Shutdown can be made much faster then it is right now.  Most processes
> take a normal SIGINT (killall, pkill) and it will clean up.

Exactly... what's needed is a simple list of what services are known
to shutdown cleanly if they're just whacked by init/killall (as opposed
to something like a database, or some other app that needs to save state.)

Then, we don't even need to run the shutdown scripts for those apps.

(Obviously, this is a whitelist scenario; any service that doesn't
claim this property needs to be shut down in the 'normal' way.)

Bill