Re: Paralell startup

> Havoc Pennington (hp redhat com) said:
> > > Wasn't Seth (Nickell?) working on a Python/D-BUS init system prototype a
> > > while back?  What happened to that?
> >
> > It was just a prototype, I guess not finished. The hard part after all
> > is switching over the system and fixing all the bugs.
>
> ... and finding out that it makes it all slower. :)

Heh, right ;-)

Though, one of the reasons to go with something more program/API-like
rather than makefile/shell is that it has conceivable advantages other
than speed.

You could imagine for example that rhgb is only a "view" that doesn't
have any interaction with or entanglement with the actual boot process,
it just watches events about boot progress and displays them. I don't
know how close that is to true already, but it might be a nice
situation. For that matter, maybe rhgb could just become part of gdm, if
we can get gdm launched early enough instead of at the end. Just
speculating.

Havoc