Packaging question time

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 10:22:20 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I am trying to package my first rpm.
After the appearance of Inventor in fedora.us my "natural" choice is
OpenMOIV (http://www.tecn.upf.es/openMOIV/) since it is a 3D molecular
visualization library used by several products of my company and it is
based on Inventor.
Of course, I read most documents about packaging at fedora.us and
rpm.org, and studied some other spec files, but I still have some
questions.
In particular my biggest doubt is about BuildRequires: for
compilation, the upstream authors provides either a cmake file (but
AFAIK we do not have a cmake package) or a qmake .pro file, so I guess
I have three options.

1. lobbying for inclusion of cmake
2. use qmake then make in the %build section
3. Include a pre-generated Makefile

now 1 does not seems to be a short term solution (besides, did anyone
ever propose cmake as a new package??)
2 seems to me the most obvious option but this raises another
question: what should I put in BuildRequires?? qmake, qt-devel or
what?
3 would make sense but I guess it will be detrimental to the package
configurability (my chosen options will be hardcoded in the Makefile).
Moreover, how would I deal with the additional file in the .spec??

Of course I guess I will have more questions in the future, but maybe
this is enough for now...

Thanks in advance

Gianluca