Filesystem "binary compatibility" question

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Oct 28 08:57:46 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've tried today for the second time to "save" data from an xfs filesystem
from an x86_64 machine which doesn't boot anymore. I don't have any other
x86_64 machine to put the drive in and access it, so I'm not 100% sure
about this "problem", but :

When I try to mount that xfs filesystem on an x86 machine (running FC Devel
and already has some "native" xfs filesystems), I get a nasty segfault...
so I was wondering about filesystem "binary compatibility" across
architectures. As I have some ppcs, an x86_64 and plenty of x86, not being
able to use an existing filesystem across all would definitely make me stay
away from it, could that be the case with xfs? Does anyone know a way to be
sure?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 2.91 (FC3 Test 2) - Linux kernel 2.6.9-1.643.radeon
Load : 1.14 1.13 1.15