FC3 rpm behavior change

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Sun Oct 31 18:56:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:11:44 +0200, Mircea MITU wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 09:36 -0500, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> >   I am a little surprised that a change with potentially serious
> > negative consequences was never mentioned on fedora-test-list or
> > fedora-devel-list, but only showed up just recently in the release notes
> > so close to release of FC3.
>
> I'm a little bit surprised that such a major change wasn't noticed until
> it was documented.

As pointed out earlier, some users noticed it when they installed
packages which were supposed to cause conflicts. However, the majority
of testers works with clean packages, which don't conflict. And only
if a package were expected to conflict, you would notice when it
installs without errors instead. Or if you encounter a case where
package installation overwrites files and damages the system. I've
installed, erased and upgraded many packages (including Fedora Extras
packages) during the Fedora Core 3 test period, and all were clean
enough not to cause any conflicts.

And frankly, would you expect such a mad change in RPM behaviour?

Would be interesting to know who has payed attention to the rpm
package changelog all the time and was aware of the change when it was
activated.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.8-1.541
loadavg: 2.62 2.50 2.13