firefox and thunderbird for rawhide

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 1 22:36:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 02:48, Warren Togami wrote:
> According to Havoc, firefox and thunderbird must be added for FC3/RHEL4
> target.  I am now rushing to build them into rawhide.  Your assistance
> in testing and analysis would be greatly appreciated.

Cool! Unfortunately I have no rawhide easily accessible at the moment
but I did dump an FC2 rebuild of xorg-x11 6.7.99.903 (RC3 of 6.7.8) from
Rawhide onto my FC2 install since it gives me nice 3D acceleration on my
Radeon IGP, plus apparently clock scaling (although I haven't checked to
see if it actually improves the notebook battery life). I had to muck
around with the split-out of the Xprint libs into
xorg-x11-deprecated-libs and discovered this:

[perbj at minicooper perbj]$ rpm -ql xorg-x11-deprecated-libs
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXp.so.6.2
[perbj at minicooper perbj]$ sudo rpm -e xorg-x11-deprecated-libs
Password:
error: Failed dependencies:
        libXp.so.6 is needed by (installed) openmotif-2.2.3-4.1
        libXp.so.6 is needed by (installed) openmotif-devel-2.2.3-4.1
        libXp.so.6 is needed by (installed) xpdf-3.00-3
        libXp.so.6 is needed by (installed) xorg-x11-6.7.99.903-1
        libXp.so.6 is needed by (installed) xorg-x11-tools-6.7.99.903-1
        libXp.so.6 is needed by (installed) firefox-0.9.3-0.fdr.4

(I just did that to get a listing of what depends on libXp...) So it
seems that firefox somehow picked up a direct dependency on Xprint which
is considered deprecated by Red Hat. I'm not really sure how the
dependency ended up there though, since Firefox doesn't seem to link
directly to libXp:

[perbj at minicooper perbj]$ ldd /usr/lib/firefox-0.9.3/firefox-bin  | grep Xp
[perbj at minicooper perbj]$

What's going on here? Anyone have a clue, or is it worth digging into?
Since Red Hat people have clearly indicated that Xprint is considered
deprecated it seems somewhat useful to try to avoid dependencies on it,
especially in stuff added to the distro now... As you can see from the
listing above, Mozilla doesn't have this dep (the Fedora build doesn't
support Xprint) so it seems pretty strange that it should be a hard
requirement for Firefox, although I haven't really checked yet.

Cheers,
Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University