"Stateless Linux" project

Josh England jjengla at sandia.gov
Tue Sep 14 18:09:57 UTC 2004

I believe the following are desirable features:

- bit-for-bit identical filesystem
- ability to group nodes into classes of functional roles
- inheritance hierarchy for functional roles
- ability to have different behavior for any node/role
- ability to locally deploy chosen bits of the rootfs onto a local disk
- ability to boot fully diskless
- central configuration
- distribution independent
- easy to use

oneSIS (http://onesis.sourceforge.net) has all of these features and
more.  I've set it up on many, many systems, and have found it to be
very flexible, easy to use, and easily extensible.  I've used it in
production environments (+500 machines, several roles, single root FS)
for several years.  I would very much encourage you guys to take a look
at the software and leave feedback.  More than a starting point, it
already provides a complete solution for much of what I think you're
trying to accomplish.

-JE
Josh England
Sandia National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
High Performance Computing and Networking
email: jjengla at sandia.gov
phone: (925) 294-2076