[fedora.us] More bugzilla ticket reassignments

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sat Sep 18 06:23:30 UTC 2004

Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> There is just one tiny little thing i wonder about: In core 3, will
> there be an option under install "Do you want to use extras-packages?
> This may be illegal under current US and EU copyright/patent law" -
> something like debian does? That would be really great, but i dont know
> the legal implications.

1) It currently still is totally legal to ship packages which have sw
patent issues in the eu, the current eu law clearly forbids sw patents,
so although some sw patents have been awarded in the eu this _currently_
is a non issue. The ec (goverment) of the eu however is doing its best
to get sw patent legalised in the eu, against the will of the eu
parlement (democracy, whats that?) and against the will of many
countries parlements.

2) I've been thinking about something more elaborate then this:

Change the select your timezone screen to a select your location screen.
This way we could also automaticly select the nearest official mirror
for up2date and yum, and when we're in a country where it is legal
automaticly include livna in the repository list.

If this is done before package selection, we could then also ask:
You seem to have an internetconnection, would you like to download and
install extra available software? And include the extra repositories in
the package selection (for example default install xine on a desktop if
available).

Regards,

Hans

--