"Stateless Linux" project

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Fri Sep 24 00:47:46 UTC 2004

Josh England wrote:
> A configuration engine such as LCFG could peacefully coexist
> and from the sounds of it even complement the functionality provided by
> oneSIS.  Instead of modifying the configs of remote files, it would
> simply be modifying the different variations of a file in the master
> image (ie: /etc/fstab.myclass).

Yes this would be possible - LCFG doesn't care what the agents actually
do. We have ones that run as pseudo components on "network controller
hosts" that then talk to the switches/routers in whatever language they
talk. VLAN/routing config on the switches changes based on the client
host's profile (Yes it's scary). In theory you could also use it do
things like create and start/stop UML images that in turn used
LCFG/OneSiS inside the images.

We've had experimental versions running on Windows and OS X too.

Don't get me wrong, it's no silver bullet though. It has its flaws.

People interested in this stuff might want to take a look at this:

http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa04/

Carwyn