Suggestion to cutoff "EFI GUID Partion Support" in the kernel so that Ipod & others will be mountable

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Sep 27 07:26:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 22:36 -0500, Jerone Young wrote:
> The Apple Ipod (4th Generation) , Ipod Mini, as well as some USB and
> Firewire drives are no longer mountable under Linux with this option
> on. The 37th post at this link gives a good explination.
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=213012&perpage=15&highlight=ipod&pagenumber=3

Interesting read; here's another data point.

FWIW, I recently got myself an iPod mini and it was sort of bizarro
world - it worked on Linux with IEEE1394 but not with USB; usually the
opposite is true; USB Mass Storage support seems to be better supported
than IEEE1394 SBP2 in my view. This was on my Fedora Rawhide system on a
PB 12". I also saw this problem with the new ub driver that appeared in
the .532 kernel.

Perhaps this problem can be fixed with the unusual devs file in the
kernel source (file drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h)?

David