Recent Fedora Core kernels (plus my SPEC file for 2.6.8-1.541 with Athlon support)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Sep 29 02:04:43 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> yes the plan is to not ship the sourcecode package at all for fc3 but
> release note how to get the sourcecode from the src.rpm

I guess I'm still scratching my head.
Is there no way to produce the "kernel-sourcecode-*.noarch.rpm" package
from the _default_ SPEC file?
To me, that would be a default that I would like to debate.
Or at least learn about more reasoning

> actually it is to differentiate local builds vs buildsystem builds;
> mostly that is for my own sanity so that I know my own local builds and
> know that they don't match exact CVS tags

I totally missed the `whoami` in the line.  Doh!  Now it makes perfect
sense.

> the gain Athlon gave previously is, in 2.6 kernels, now a runtime
> option not a compiletime option, so no need to have different kernels
> for athlon anymore.

Really?  Interesting.  I'll have to research that more.
I'm just kinda curious how you could optimally.
Again, I'll have to research more before I ask again.

> why bother ?

I assemble clusters with lots of double precision floating point
operations for engineering applications.

> even in 2.6?

Now that you mention it, I really need to look at this in more detail.

Someone else mentioned the 4GB/4GB setting.  I saw that too.  But no,
I didn't change it in my default SPEC (although I have built some
custom kernels).

I'm kinda curious if Fedora Core should ship a 1GB i686 kernel for
desktops that have 1GB or less, since there is a good chance of a
major performance difference.  The old 1GB/3GB method would be better
for a lot of desktops out there if added.

But that's another debate.

Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org
"Communities don't have rights. Only individuals in the community
 have rights. ... That idea of community rights is firmly rooted
 in the 'Communist Manifesto.'" -- Michael Badnarik