ARTSD

Richard June rjune at bravegnuworld.com
Sat Apr 30 23:54:41 UTC 2005

On Friday 29 April 2005 17:56, Matthew Lenz wrote:
> you don't get it.. kde and gnome where designed so that their applications
> work transparently over the network.  if you don't use esd or arts, network
> transparent audio is not available.  you'll probably never see true gnome
> or kde apps using alsa directly.  what you might see is new and better
> sound servers become available.  its too bad the alsa guys don't just add
> some kind of NAS to their official software distribution and make it work
> flawlessly with their drivers/sound.
Arts was most definately not designed to work transparently over the network.
rather than send the file for processing, arts will send a filename over the
network, so unless you tell arts to use NAS or ESD, it's useless for network
audio.
I agree it would be great to have alsa do that though
--
Public Key available Here:
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/pubkey.asc