Proper way to autoload modules (/etc/rc.modules)?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Wed Apr 6 07:22:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 12:05:19 +0200 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net> wrote:

>  Having an init.d only with a modprobe is the wrong design.

What makes you say that? How is it different from having an
/etc/modules.d/ivtv? I would say that reflexive, knee-jerk reaction
"let's add .d" to any problem is a recipe for wrong design which
produces redundancies. Don't forget that it's easy to introduce
entities, not so easy to get rid of them.

> And there are other modules that need to be before any init.d scripts,
> like capabilities modules whose absence will break named etc.

The named's number is 55. Surely a slot to load capabilities before
named can be found.

So far I did not see a good reason to keep /etc/rc.modules around
in this thread (with a possible exception of pcspkr, because it
plugs into HID; but even there a smart kernel patch ought to help).

-- Pete