X: MergedFB Support Via Config

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Wed Apr 6 11:37:56 UTC 2005

Hi all:

I'm curious to know what types of configuration developments are
happening around the MergedFB mechanism in X.  Currently, I can share a
dual head configuration and a single head configuration together except
for two options:

1a.	Option      "MetaModes"        "1024x768-1280x1024 1024x768"
  b.	Option      "MetaModes"         "1024x768"

2a.	Virtual   2304 1024
  b.	---not defined---

a is for my dual head setup and b is for my single head setup.
Obviously, my target of concern is a laptop with an internal panel as
one head and an external monitor as the other.

Right now, I have to change these manually.  Ctrl_Alt_+ and Ctrl_Alt_-
are a *pain* to compose on my IBM T30.  And, frankly, with the virtual
at 2304 1024, I'm not certain how much that'd help me anyway.

So, is there an RandR interface into MergedFB and would
system-config-display have control over it? Does system-config-display
support MergedFB setups when configuring dual head? Is this on the
roadmap?  etc.

(I know all cards do not support it, but it would be nice if a
capabilities mechanism were able to detect this based on the card's
vendor string, etc.)

Thanks for any links, hints, and your ideas on this...

take care,
--
-jeff