OpenOffice.org 2.0 packages for FC3?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 18:08:11 UTC 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 1:47 PM, Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu> wrote:
> Well, if they can be made parallel-installable I'm not as sure that the
> case is so clear-cut? (With "OpenOffice 2.0 <blah>" menu items etc. so
> those don't conflict either.) Not that I've looked into what would be
> needed to do this...

parallel installable AND updatable cleanly to fc4... thats a neat trick.
Here's the deal.. Extras has to have an upgrade path to future release of Core.
Since FC4 is going to have openoffice 4 already, you'll have to be a
very clever monkey to make that upgrade from fc3 to fc4 work well for
anyone using your fc3 oo.o2 dead-end parallel installable package.
Maintaining parallel installable packages that essential backport
progress inside Core is somewhat wasteful and counterproductive in
terms of long-term benefit to the project.

Its a very simple premise.. if the package has no clear future or
place in the next release cycle its probably not worth the effort to
produce it.  It's one thing for someone in the community to step up
and provide an i386 kernel in Extras and commit to maintaining that
kernel for multiple release cycles. Its quite another to build
something like OO.o2 for fc3 that is only going to be useful in the
fc3 lifetime, with no future maintainership envisioned because it
duplicated work already being done for fc4 and beyond.

-jef